Saturday, August 7, 2010

2. Origin of Time

Welcome back on Time..

Once I asked this question to myself 'When did Time start?' I didn't have a firm answer and so what. I started my research to find it but soon I ended up with few more questions like 'How did Time come to existence?', 'Did Time have a real start?', 'Is Time endless?' etc.

Before jumping into conclusions, let's have a hypothesis. There are two stand points to start with 1) Time never exists; it's just a man made measurement 2) Time exists forever as it's part of this world's existence. Let's proceed with the first one in this post.

Time never exists; it's just an illusion! Can we say 'Time is just a reference point, a marker for something to start and end'? I think Yes. What if there is no end, say, like immortals who live forever? Will they still have such reference? before answering this question, we have to know who immortal is. We have seen in movies that all immortals are shown as young and beautiful beings! Does it mean they never had a start? I mean have they never born and were they just created young and youthful?

I think the topic leads us into another discussion and so let's ignore about the details of immortals. Let's consider that they came into existence young and youthful and will never grow old and never die. In this case, is Time applicable?... hmm I think we created enough complexities now. Think through it.. while I come up with another example to analyze Time.

Can we say that before man found Clocks, there was no Time? hmm.. not really. We all know that ancient people had reference to Time by setting markers to the position of Sun and Moon. Basically that was how our ancient clocks were initially made. Anyway my point here is, let's consider that today the earth stops revolving! No Sunrise and no Sunset! Do you think will we still have such reference, called Time?

I would still say yes because we already have our clocks running and irrespective of Sunrise and Sunset the clocks will run and so we will have a continuing reference to Time! Let's say we destroy all the clocks in this world! Will we still have Time? Still yes because we can still setup a starting point of time and then start measuring Time in a standard intervals.

So, even in our reference world of immortals where there is no Sunrise, no Sunset and no clock is running, they can still have Time! Ain't we ending up conflicting our initial stand point? unfortunately yes. So, can we say Time exists forever? Let's see in the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment